I am looking to scale up my business. What is your process when advising business owners?
That’s the question I received recently from a LinkedIn post when explaining the difference between scaling vs growth for a small business.
One of the things that I think is important to address in my response to this business owner is that I’m a small business marketing consultant, not a business consultant so the aspects of scaling a business will revolve around marketing participating in that objective, not necessarily being the sole driver.
Here’s my response:
Our process usually revolves around the marketing part.
For example, a lot of clients need to attract talent or partners in order to scale, and to help with achieving that business objective we:
- develop effective career pages
- develop effective partner recruiting pages
- incorporate online job applications
- incorporate online partner applications
- create employment ladder visuals
- interview your best partners to learn how to attract more
- interview your staff to learn how to attract more
- examine marketing, sales, and serving processes for improvements
- advise on resources to handle servicing components like phone answering, etc.
Having a process that you can repeat and get better at is one of the secrets to scaling your marketing or any aspect of your business for that fact.