Why a Small Business Owner’s Unfaithfulness is Their Downfall
The thing about being an owner or CEO of a small business is that you’re unfaithful. You like change and have a wandering eye especially when it comes to marketing.
You get bored of marketing messages very quickly. You’re sick of that tired old tagline and that worn-out core message. Guess what, it’s a pretty good bet that your target market hasn’t even heard it yet, let alone grown tired of it.
You’ve got to put your best marketing message out there and then stick with it until the cows are on the moon.
Have you heard the following messages?
- Got milk? (used for 21 years, starting in 1993)
- Just do it. (used for over 26 years, starting in 1988)
- Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.
- Tastes great, less filling. (used since the 1970s)
- Melts in your mouth, not in your hands. (used for over 60 years, since 1954)
- 15 minutes could save 15% or more on insurance.
I’m sure you have.
Marketing works best through frequeceny and repetition. Just like advertising, marketing works best through repetition. Just like advertising, marketing works best through repetition. Just like advertising, marketing works best through repetition.
Get the point?
You may get sick of your message long before it has the chance to strike oil so resist the urge to change for change sake.